A Complete Guide: Registering a mobility scooter with the DVLA

Discover the essential steps for registering a Class 3 mobility scooter or powered wheelchair with the DVLA so that it is legally registered for road use. 

Whether you’ve purchased a new or second-hand model, our comprehensive guide provides all the necessary information to navigate the registration process smoothly and efficiently 

You can ensure you’re road-ready and compliant with legal requirements by following our expert advice.

In this Article...

Who are the DVLA?

The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) is a UK government organization responsible for maintaining a database of drivers in Great Britain and a database of vehicles for the entire UK.

Dvla Letter Head a Complete Guide: Registering a Mobility Scooter with the Dvla

Its key responsibilities include issuing driving licenses, organizing vehicle registration, and administering road tax (Vehicle Excise Duty).   The DVLA also works to improve road safety by ensuring that drivers and vehicles meet legal and safety standards.

The DVLA plays a critical role in the oversight of mobility vehicles in the UK. This includes registration, licensing, and ensuring that both drivers and vehicles meet specific legal standards for road use. This ensures the safety and compliance of mobility scooters and other Class 3 vehicles on public roads.

Which mobility vehicles need to be registered with the DVLA?

In the UK, mobility scooters and powered wheelchairs are classified into two categories: Class 2 and Class 3 invalid carriages. The rules regarding their use, including whether road tax is required, depend on the class of the vehicle:

      • Class 2 (4mph) mobility scooters or powered wheelchairs are not road-legal and must not be used on UK public highways.  This class of scooter or wheelchair does NOT need to be registered with the DVLA.
      • Class 3 (5-8mph) mobility scooters or powered wheelchairs that will be driven on the road MUST be registered with the DVLA.

    For details on the differences between Class 2 and Class 3 mobility scooters, please refer to our blog post What’s the difference between Class 2 and Class 3 Mobility Scooters?

    The table below is an extract from the DVLA document Registering a mobility vehicle that outlines the different options for the requirement to register or tax the vehicle:

    Table Showing What Speed and Weight of Mobility Vehicles Need to Be Registered with the Dvla a Complete Guide: Registering a Mobility Scooter with the Dvla

    Should you register your Class 3 mobility vehicle?

    The following factors determine whether you will need to register your mobility scooter or powered wheelchair with the DVLA:

        • Will you be driving on the road?
        • Are you buying new or second-hand?
        • Has the vehicle been previously registered with the DVLA

      New mobility vehicles

      If you are buying a new Class 3 mobility vehicle from a manufacturer or retailer, then it would not have been previously registered with the DVLA.  You WILL be required to complete a V55/MV form, selecting the option to register a NEW vehicle. 

      The retailed should assist you with the registration process.  If you need to do this yourself, you can follow our step-by-step guide below or view the example completed V55/MV form.

      Used or second-hand mobility vehicles

      If you are buying a second-hand mobility vehicle from a retailer or private seller, then the DVLA registration process will differ depending on whether:

          • The mobility vehicle was previously registered with the DVLA.
          • The V5C logbook was make available by the previous owner.

        Not Previously Registered

        If the second-hand mobility vehicle has not previously been registered with the DVLA and you intend to drive it on the road, you WILL be required to complete a V55/MV form, selecting the option to register a USED vehicle. 

        If you are buying from a retailer they should assist you with the registration process.  If you need to do this yourself, you can follow our step-by-step guide below or view the example completed V55/MV form.

        Previously Registered (with V5C)

        If the mobility vehicle was registered with the DVLA by the previous owner, and the V5C logbook is available, the process is simpler.

            1. The seller must Section 6 (New keeper slip) of the V5C logbook and pass this to you; keep this somewhere safe.   This slip provides you with the details required to get insurance on the mobility vehicle if required. 
            2. The seller must complete Section 2 (Selling or transferring my vehicle to a new keeper), providing your details, and send the V5C logbook to the DVLA. 
            3. The DVLA will then issue a new V5C logbook in your name.

          If you are selling a mobility vehicle and want to understand more about notifying the DVLA, see our blog How to Transfer Ownership of a Mobility Scooter.

          Previously registered (without V5C)

          If the previous owner had registered the mobility vehicle with the DVLA, but is unable to locate the V5C log book then there are a couple of options:

              • Request the previous owner to complete a V62 document to request a new copy of the V5C logbook (this requires payment of a fee).  Once the new logbook is received, follow the instructions for the section Previously Registered with V5C logbook available above.
              • Re-register the vehicle with the DVLA by completing a V55/MV form and selecting the option to register a USED vehicle.  See Completing a V55/MV form section below for details on how to complete the V55 form.

            What you will need to register a mobility vehicle

            Before you embark on completing the V55/MV form, make sure that you have the following information to hand:

                • If the mobility scooter is new, then you will need documented evidence that the vehicle is new.  This can be a certificate of newness from the manufacturer.  This should be provided on purchase of the vehicle.
                • If the mobility scooter is used or second-hand, then evidence showing date of manufacturer is a SHOULD have.  If you do not know the year of manufacturer then the vehicle will be assigned a Q registration number.
                • Evidence of the speed of the vehicle to prove it can go between 5mph and 8pmh.  This can be an extract from the user manual or details from the manufacture’s website.
                • Documentation to show the unladen wight of the mobility scooter, including the batteries.

              Guide to completing a V55/MV form

              Before registering your mobility vehicle with thee DVLA, make sure to read the previous sections to check whether you need to do so.  If your mobility vehicle is Class 2, or is already registered with the DVLA, you may not need to complete a V55/MV form.

              The table below follows the numbered sections on the form.  Any section numbers not listed in the table can be ignored and do not need to be completed.

              Note: values in BOLD must be entered on the form a shown below. Values not in bold are specific to your mobility vehicle.

              Section Number Section Title Value
              2 Tax class Disabled
              3 Period of tax applied for 12 months
              5 Make Enter make
              6 Model Enter model
              7 Type of body/vehicle Invalid Carriage
              8 Wheelplan Non-standard
              9 Colour(s) Enter colour (e.g. Silver)
              10 Type approval number/category Exempt
              11 Unladen Weight Enter weight (incl, batteries)
              12 Number of seats 1
              13 Date from which tax is to run Enter todays date
              14 Type of fuel Electric
              15 VIN/Chassis/Frame No Serial number of scooter
              16 Engine Number Serial number of scooter
              19 Year of Manufacturer Enter year of manufacture
              21 Name and address of vehicle keeper Enter name and address
              22 Date of birth Enter your date of birth

              Example of a completed V55/MV form

              The links below allow you to download an example M55/MV form which you can use as a guide.

                Does a mobility vehicle need to have road tax?

                Both Class 2 and Class 3 mobility scooters and powered wheelchairs are exempt from paying road tax. While Class 3 vehicles must be registered and display a ‘nil value’ tax disc, this process does not involve paying any fee. This exemption recognizes the essential mobility need these vehicles provide to their users.

                A ‘nil value’ tax disc (though the physical tax disc is no longer issued, the vehicle must still be registered for road tax) will be issued for the vehicle by the DVLA upon registration or change or keeper.  This is renewed automatically every year without the need to pay a fee.

                Are all Class 3 mobility vehicles road-legal?

                For a Class 3 mobility scooter or powered wheelchair to be used legally on the road, it must:

                    • Be registered with the DVLA.
                    • Have a ‘nil value’ tax disc.
                    • Comply with certain requirements.such as having lights, indicators, a horn, a rear-view mirror, and an amber flashing light if it’s used on a dual carriageway.

                  It’s important for users of Class 3 invalid carriages to ensure they follow these rules when using their vehicles on public roads.

                  Do I need insurance to drive a mobility vehicle on the road?

                  No, insurance is not required, however it is recommended.  Having suitable insurance will cover your own and other safety, as well as the value of the vehicle.

                  At Used Mobility Scooter Shop we do not directly offer insurance, however we partner with Mark Bates Ltd.  You can receive a preferential rate by quoting the discount code DOVETRAIL when taking out a policy.  Please see their website for more information and their terms and conditions.


                  Before driving a mobility scooter or powered wheelchair on the road it is important to make sure that:

                      • The mobility vehicle is suitable for driving on the road and is road legal.  It must be a Class 3 vehicle, capable of 5mph-8mph and be fitted with lights and indicators, horn and mirrors.
                      • You are the registered keeper of the mobility vehicle. 
                      • You do not need to pay road tax.  Providing you have registered the vehicle with the DVLA, road tax will be renewed automatically on an annual basis.
                      • Insurance is not required but is recommended.  This can help protect you against costs for damages or theft of your mobility vehicle.

                    By adhering to the aforementioned guidelines, you can confidently and legally navigate the roads, assured in the knowledge that you are both compliant with the law and safeguarded.

                    Need some advice?

                    If you have purchased one of our second-hand mobility scooters or power chairs and would like advice on completing the V55/MV or V5C form, please do not hesitate to contact one of our team. They will be more than happy to help!